The mission of the Deaconess Ministry is to meet the needs of the First Baptist Church of Huntington, under the spiritual guidance of its Pastor and the Deacons by promoting the spiritual growth in the church.
1 Timothy 8:11 - "Even so must their wives be grave, not slanders, sober, faithful in all things."
The purpose of the Deaconess Ministry is to care for and assist the needs of the overall congregation. Wherever there are sick and shut-in members as well as members in need of prayer, the Deaconess Ministry will be there to help. They will be in contact with all sick members and monitor the prayer list to ensure that members are not alone. They are responsible for the preparation and setting up Holy Communion on the first Sunday of each month. The Deaconess should instruct all female baptismal candidates as to what they are suppose to wear. Although Deaconess do not have to pass a formal exam, we believe that the standard for Deaconess do not vary due to gender.
God requires accountability of all those in service for him and we have adopted this structure as the standard we desire of those who wish to serve in this capacity:
Deaconess should possess the following qualities:
1. She must be a follower of Christ also Christ-like, so much that her life will be outstanding and praised by all whom she comes in contact with.
2. She should be a serious minded person, well balanced and one who knows the value of spiritual things, she should be grave, not slanderers, temperate and faithful in all things.
3. She must be familiar with all of the church laws and the doctrines of the church. She should also know the policies and practices of the church so that all of the officers can work in peace and harmony.
4. She should not be a slanderer or given to gossip, she should take part in The mission of the Deaconess Ministry is to meet the needs of the First Baptist Church of Huntington, under the spiritual guidance of its Pastor and the Deacons by promoting the spiritual growth in the church.
5. She MUST be a faithful member of the church, support the Pastor & the vision of the ministry, along with the total programming of the church.
Sis. Victoria 'Vickie' Smith, Chair*
Sis. Kathy McClain, 1st Vice*
Sis. Lois Brown, 2nd Vice*
Sis. Shirley Willis
Sis. Geane' Revley,
Sis. Walterine Lawrence
Sis. Donna McCoy
Sis. Brenda Martin
Sis. Edna 'Tootsie' Congelton
Sis. Roberta Dawson
1st Saturday of every month at 9:30 am
Selected by the Pastor